Digital Arts and New Media
Department of Performance, Play & Design
The mummy awakens in Amduat: The 12 Hours of Ra, an immersive multi-media theater experience, where humans become gods and museums come to life. Confronting the Egyptian-American diaspora, Amduat brings the audience on a journey through life and death over the course of one night. The audience is taken on a “docent” tour by major figures in Egypt’s Pharaonic age, encountering mythological counterparts to experience the duality of order and chaos.
The word “amduat” translates to “Text of the Hidden Chamber Which is the Underworld” and describes the land of the dead, its spirits, guardians, and threats. Amduat draws on interpretations of this text, along with historical events, to create a narrative that captures Ra’s death and rebirth, and the lifetime of conflict in first-generation American-Egyptians. The piece questions the legacies of colonialism in narratives and history, while highlighting the media’s role in perpetuating misinformation surrounding Egypt’s stories.
This production is written and directed by graduate student Laura Boutros and coincides with the DANM M.F.A. Exhibition.
- This production contains loud noises, flashing lights, haze, guns, swords, references to xenophobia, terrorism, torture, and suicide
- Attendees will only be seated for limited times during the presentation; in addition, they will move around in the space as if on a museum tour.
- COVID-19 protocols required for entry; we recommend you review in advance.
- If you have a disability-related need, please contact the Arts Events Office at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
* * * * *
Attend in person:
Fri, May 20, 2022, 7:30 p.m
Sat, May 21, 2022, 7:30 p.m
Sun, May 22, 2022, 3:00 p.m.
Thurs, May 26, 2022, 7:30 p.m.
Fri, May 27, 2022, 7:30 p.m.
Sat, May 28, 2022, 7:30 p.m.
Sun, May 29, 2022, 3:00 p.m.
Tickets available at UCSCtickets.com.
* * * * *
Purchase a permit in advance or use ParkMobile.
The closest parking lot to the Theater Arts Center is Lot #126.
See Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS) for visitor parking information, ParkMobile instructions, and a campus parking map.
* * * * *
All attendees are required to show the following COVID-19 documents in order to enter the venue:
UCSC students: green clearance badge
UCSC employees: symptom check clearance email
1. Complete the UCSC Symptom Check on the day of the event and show the clearance email to the ushers at the door.
2. Show proof of vaccination -OR- negative PCR test completed within 72 hours (home tests/antigen tests are not accepted)
For this event, all attendees must wear a face covering while inside the venue. (Note: the masking protocol for this event supersedes UCSC's April 10 policy change).
Please familiarize yourself with the full COVID-19 protocols here; we recommend you review this in advance.